Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Something New

Had quail for supper; first time in my life to eat the little birds. The local Harris Teeter had some farm-raised quail in the freezer section at a good price, so I thought to myself, why not? The box contained four little birds, the meat fairly dark pre-cooking. The box advertised that they were pre-seasoned, but to be on the safe side, I seasoned three of them, leaving one unseasoned for comparison. Used Old Bay, Old Bay Blackening, and Tony Chachére Creole seasoning, each on a different bird. Bake in a 400 degree oven for 25 minutes.

They came out pretty well, I ate every bit, having to gnaw the meat off the tiny bones. In Robert Ruark's classic coming-of-age book The Old Man and the Boy, the Old Man liked his quail for breakfast on toast, as I recall.

50 is a little late in life to be introduced to quail, isn't it? I lived out in the country as a boy, but my Dad wasn't a hunter, he was a fisherman, so I never ate any wild game growing up.

I might have a BBQ restaurant review to post later this week, maybe on Saturday.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interesting you said the meat was dark. I know nothing of farm raised quail, the ones we hunt here in Kalif., Valley Quail have a white meat, which I believe is from the fact they don't fly for a living..lol.... The dove we hunt have a very dark, more dense meat. I prefer the taste of quail over dove though.

Boarshide